Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lesotho College - The first weeks begin...
























































It is my first week of work at the Lesotho College of Education, and I begin it with a fantastic run through Maseru with another PC Volunteer. At one point I am walking up what I perceive as a vertical cliff, being overtaken by a walking M'me with a heavy bag, while my wheezes and slap of running shoes makes her call to me, "Come on, you cannot let an old M'me like my self get there faster than you." She gently gestures to the top of the hill. But she is right, and I start jogging again. Moments later I pass her with a proud, 'Lu mey la, M'me. Kea leboha.' Thank you, Madame.

Later that day I pass by the bulletin board on my way in to the library to work. This poster catches my eye... There is rampant alcohol abuse by many in Lesotho, and the consequences are clear by the advertising campaign. How long has it been posted, I wonder?


1 comment:

  1. Tam!!!! I hope you are doing wonderfully at site! Sounds like you are staying busy...I'm getting bored real quick in the mountains! I'm going to link your blog to mine tomorrow! Get excited!!!

    ReplyDelete